View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: think my cage is wrong

Definitely switch to a bin cage, hamsters shouldn't have cages which are that high. If your ham was to fall, he/she could get seriously injured or even killed. Besides the fact that height isn't really necessary for hamsters who would much rather having the extra floor space to run about and explore in. Like amityville said above, bin cages being expandable is such a plus. Things like tanks and barred cages can't be expanded (or at least not cheap or easily) and as a result, you'll generally need to go out and buy a whole new cage which can be pretty expensive. When it comes to Syrians, bigger is better. Definitely find the biggest possible bin you can, and you can add on to it with medium sized bins if you choose. On the point of not having too much money, a gerbilarium is likely much more pricey than a decent sized bin. I have one bin in particular I love and I bought it for $17 (not sure what that is in currency outside of U.S dollars, but I'm sure not much more or less) and it's extremely spacious and uses space wisely. Careful about listening to pet shops, most of their information is outdated or just plain wrong. If you have any more questions on hamster care, definitely bring them to the forum before asking the pet shop. Good luck and enjoy your new little hamster
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote