View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 AM  
SoapyVP
Hamster Overlord

Default Unusual behaviour

Hi, one of my hamsters (Mole) has been behaving unusually and I wondered if anyone has any ideas please?

She's a 12 month old Syrian, always been very active and friendly. Out on the sofa or in her ball every night. One I'd let anyone hold without concern.

She's suddenly become a little smelly (well, sometimes quite smelly actually) and a bit aggressive. She often sits/sleeps outside her house in her cage whereas she would always go inside. She gets very jittery very often if I try to get her out and flies about her cage. Sometimes she comes out fine but just lies on me being stroked and not being the inquisitive little madam she used to be. She does not like to go in her ball any more.

She's been to the vet a couple of times. She's on antibiotics (12 days so far) as we wondered if she might have a UTI but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The vet (who is great with rodents and has previously removed tumours from an old dwarf hamster of mine) is a bit puzzled too.

I'm now trying to get a urine sample to take back to the vet. If I can't get one I'll take her in and he will drug her, have a proper feel about (he's mentioned a possible stone in her bladder) and get the urine sample at the same time.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas welcome please?
SoapyVP is offline   Reply With Quote