View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 10:31 AM  
squeakylittlepaws
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Lost hammie, please help!

Use peanut butter (smooth version) – smoother it on something heavy like a book approximately 50cm from the hole. The smell of peanut butter is quite potent and very tempting.

You need to sit next to the wall that she’s in – quietly, for as long as it takes. Make no sudden movements, stay quiet.

Get something fairly large – a piece of cardboard for example, or a dinner tray something like that, and when she makes her exit to get to the peanut butter very gently place the cardboard over the hole so she can’t dart back.

The thing about peanut butter smothered on something heavy is that she can’t pick it up and run off, she has to sit and lick it up. That buys you time.

Before you do pull an all nighter waiting for her to come out, you could just get something long – like a ruler and put the tiniest amount of peanut butter on it, put that up the hole and just try to gently coax her out. Inching out the ruler slowly, but that might be less successful.

There's like a 1% chance that the peanut butter can present a choking risk, however, weighing up the risk vs the con's - its incredibly unlikely and the risk of her being injured or hurt while out of her cage is much higher than the hazard from the peanut butter, so for this exercise it just serves a purpose, she’ll be completely fine and I say fairly confidently it should work.

You can always use strawberry Petit filous yoghurt as well - it's what I use for super aggressive hamsters as part of taming, works a charm - they can't resist it.

On a side note, maybe revisit her cage, there could be something about she doesn't much like - is it too open, too enclosed? Bed too big/small. Would plastic be better, would bars be better, is it too big, too small, is it too overcrowded with toys, or not enough toys, do you clean it too regularly (alot of people are guilty of this), I'm not saying this is the reason, she could just be the adventurous type.
squeakylittlepaws is offline   Reply With Quote