View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 05:21 PM  
hamsterbasil
Newborn Pup

Default New hamster behaviour- help! x

Hi, about a week ago I got my lovely syrian hamster called Basil. He was very nervous and jumpy so I left him to get used to his home for 3 days, then I started bonding with him- he started waiting for me at around 11pm every night. I thought we had quite a good bond, and he also didnt seem to mind at all when I put my hands in his cage. But today I tried to spot clean his cage and change a few toys as I felt he had settled in. He seemed okay, but a little cautious.
I had the door open and he approached it, so i put my hand flat out for him to sniff and take a treat, he sniffed it then went bonkers!
I have never seen this before (and I have had 3 syrian hamsters before!). He ran away and started frantically climbing his bars. His ears were up, and he didnt look scared but I just don't know what was up? Was he scared or something else?
I spoke to him softly for a bit and then left the room and he calmed down but seemed very different to the shy hamster I know! He seems very adventurous all of a sudden! But he also seems to trust me a bit less!
Im very worried- can anybody help me out?
hamsterbasil is offline   Reply With Quote