View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 12:52 PM  
Almi
Hamster Pup

Default Re: New Hamster Owner!

You guys make some good points with the plastic coated wire. Like I said, I also tend to stay away from plastic, for the same reasons. Honestly, I think there are risks with everything. Using this item is a risk I'm willing to take, because I feel the risk is extremely small, and worth the enrichment it gives the hamsters. I suppose it just depends on what you are comfortable with. Hard plastic is something I definitely avoid because it can break into shards, and the hamster has to shave off little bits, making the risk of swallowing some higher.

The hamsters do chew the plastic off of the legs of these over time. I have used the same ones for several years now, and it has taken that long for just the legs to be chewed, so it's obviously not a favorite chew toy. Once the plastic is taken off, they might gnaw on the wire, but as long as its not incessant, I don't think this is a problem. The amount of plastic being chewed is so negligible, and once it's off, it's gone. It's also quite soft, so they can pull it off easily with low risk of swallowing it.

Lots of people, including members here, regularly use plastic in their hamster's home. Though I've always worried, I've never actually heard of a hamster getting sick or passing away after chewing a small amount of plastic. I've also always worried about bar chewing, but never actually had hamsters develop tooth problems from chewing wire. (I have seen hamsters develop tooth problems from poor breeding practices, though.) Don't some of you use wire cages with plastic bases?

I will remember to never suggest an item that has plastic on it ever again, but I don't see any reason to single this item out as unsafe. To me, it is an extremely useful item for hamster habitats and it comes with very little risk. I might also add that I only used it as an example...I imagine you can find wire racks that aren't coated with plastic, or a similar item made out of wood, just like you can find wooden versions of plastic hideouts. Honestly, I quite liked some of the DIY suggestions here. I have a bunch of popsicle sticks laying around...I should get the kids busy.

Chesca - You could put these in the cage sideways to use as climbing bars. I have also used them in this way to create a means of attaching a water bottle meant for a wire cage. I was suggesting setting it in the cage on its feet and putting a heavy tile on top of it, so there's no risk of legs falling through. The bars are too thick and smooth to cause bumblefoot.

As for the tree trunk hideouts, they are definitely not edible. I have used the edible log toys; they have an ingredients list and are obviously made out of wood pulp (with things like alfalfa and molasses/honey added). I looked at the description, and it says the tree trunk hideouts are made out of a mixture of plastic and wood.
Almi is offline   Reply With Quote