View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 PM  
chesca_27
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: New Hamster Owner!

Those tree trunk hideys look like they are made out of alfalfa because we get a lot of alfalfa toys in the UK.

I wouldn't use those ladders things. For a start, their paws can get trapped easily between the ladder rungs and walking on wire/mesh surfaces has been liked to causing bumblefoot in hamsters. Climbing bars is different. Secondly, as Amity has pointed out the plastic/vinyl is likely to be unsafe and if you can't be sure of it, don't use it! Chewing and ingesting plastic can cause internal blockages. Chewing the wire (when the plastic has all been chewed) can damage a hamster's teeth so there are so many reasons for why you shouldn't use those rack ladder things.

I don't like the idea of plastic in cages either, unless it's necessary (for a bottle). Most hamsters will chew on it and plastic has extremely poor ventilation. I find wooden toys much safer and would stick to those.