View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 PM  
amyyxj
Newborn Pup

Default My First Hamster | Dorris!

Hello! Not long ago I posted a thread saying that I will be getting my first hamster. Its been a week and shes settled in very well, I've decided on the name Dorris which was suggested by a friend.
-
She's very energetic, and is already fairly tame. She's been taking treats from my hand the the last few days! Since this is my first hamster I'm still quite nervous about doing things correctly.
-
Dorris has the Harry Hamster food mix, I might make my own mix in the future though. She has a little bit of fresh veg in the cage everyday too + I'll be adding some mealworms into her diet asap
-
She is enjoying all the new things she has to play with, she loves the Sleep-n-Play Cheese Boredom breaker!
-
Not everything has gone so well though. Unfortunately I've had to remove the wheel from her cage, I found a bit of blood on it. I read a forum somebody posted with the same issue. The wheel is wooden so she must of cut her foot while running. The blood isn't anywhere else in the cage but if I see more blood she will be taken to the vet. It was such a shock to see the blood, I've tried to check her feet but Its quite hard to get a good look as I've not tamed her yet. It was the Trixie wooden wheel. I'm sending it back and I wont be getting a wooden wheel again, I know it's not that often things like this happen but I'm not going to take any chances. I've added some extra toys to the cage so she doesn't get too bored without the wheel.
-
I'm considering the 12" Silent Runner now.
It looks pretty good and it should be easier to clean, she likes to pee on the wheel. Any advice would be great.
-
I'll try to get some good photos of her and the cage soon
amyyxj is offline   Reply With Quote