View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 02:25 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: New Hamster, Frantic Behaviour

You could try taking her out, but I don't think you should use a ball. I personally think Balls are not anywhere near as safe or appropriate or enriching as a playpen/play bin/or even bathtub would be if set up nicely However when in balls hamster vision is nowhere near as good(it's already fairly poor anyways)and their sense of smell is also not as good as it should be.I think they can't get any true enrichment in balls as they would in a playpen or similar,and there is even lots of information to point in the direction of balls being far more cruel than they are beneficial.

If you give her lots of enrichment,try setting things up with even more hiding spaces and such,etc and she continues this obsessive behavior you might need an even larger cage.It may sound shocking,but honestly even in something humans see as a large cage a hamster can still not have enough space.Even if your cage is a square meter or larger the behavior can continue,but you can at least try an even bigger cage if you can't make the behavior completely go away

Last edited by velma; 01-04-2017 at 04:15 PM.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote