View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 10:41 AM  
bobbaham
Hamster Pup

Default New Hamster, Frantic Behaviour

Hi all,

I haven't been on here for a while after my dear first Syrian hamster died, but I have recently found myself with two new girls and need some help!
I recently adopted a lovely Syrian (Violet) from my brother's girlfriend. She was in one of those small Pets at Home cages with no wheel and no proper bedding, just some newspaper. I don't think she was being taken out. When I got her home I wanted to leave her to settle in for a few days before upgrading but she kept frantically trying to escape her cage, running round and round in circles and chewing at the bars. I decided to put her in Bobba's old (cleaned) Zoozone 2 with a 28cm wooden wheel, sand bath etc., hoping she just needed some space and a wheel.
It's almost a week later now and she is still absolutely frantic trying to escape the cage. She spends ages running round in circles, chewing the corners (holes are now starting to appear)and even banging toys against the plastic. She does not seem to have settled at all. She is my fifth hamster now and I've never seen behaviour like it.
I decided to keep her on a schedule to make sure she felt safe and secure, so I've only been going to the cage once a night at the same time to change food and water. I didn't want to let her out until she'd settled, fearing this might spook her more, but now I'm thinking maybe this is a mistake and I should try her in the hamster ball?
Any advice welcome, she is a lovely girl and I really wanted to give her a nice home!
bobbaham is offline   Reply With Quote