Thread: Biter/ nipper
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 03:30 PM  
Crayolalaura
Hamster Pup

Default Biter/ nipper

Info- hybrid Russian dwarf, 5 months old, barely had her a week, half tamed

My dwarf is a bit of a biter. Not hard at all mind! But I can feel her teeth and it's like a very slight nip.
She les me stroke her whilst she's eating, she will take treats from my palm, she will put her paws on my hand to reach food.
When I put my clean hand to her (not right in front of her, I let her know it's there and let her come to it) she will smell then lick then start using a bit of teeth so I'm wondering it's just the natural human salt on my hands? They're always clean when I'm attempting to tame her treat-free. She's rather tame anyway but I mean in terms of handling. she was handled and put into my hands no problem when being adopted so it is possible to handle her
I'd like to be able to hold her but not very possible if she keeps biting/nipping
She might just be a biter though!

Could it just be that it's all new? Is there a way to reduce the chance of biting?
Also are dwarf hamster bites- proper bites- very painful like a Syrian or more like just a bit of a nip like what I'm experiencing? I think a proper bite from a dwarf would hurt a bit more even with their smaller teeth.

I feel shes doing it genuinely out of curiosity or she believes I'm food!
I do normally have food in my hands for her though LOL perhaps if I stop that so often it might help?

Any advice appreciated
I know it's still early days but i don't want this to be a habit
Crayolalaura is offline   Reply With Quote