View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 AM  
StarlightSerenity
Wicked Witch of Manchester

Default Re: Potentially getting a cat? (NOT BY CHOICE!)

I have two house cats and three hamsters - never had a problem. The hamsters have never been frightened of the cats and the cats tend to avoid the hamsters. My Maine Coon cat was sat in the playpen when I had a hamster in it once, the ham went to investigate the giant fluff ball and Rommy (the cat) ran off the instant the hamster started walking towards her. Wuss! I had a hamster escape and my moggy just sat and watched him, no interest in playing/catching/eating him. Maybe it has something to do with them being house cats and have never hunted? Both have been house cats since birth.

All three of my hams cages are on a shelving unit with very little space between the top of the cage and the next shelf, this is to prevent the cats sitting on the cages (mostly so they don't break it! If they both sit on a cage it would be 10kg+ of weight on the top). Although my moggy has squeezed in on top of one before, the ham came along, pulled some belly fur that was poking through and took it to her nest lol.

There are some things you should consider - any external tubing on the cage can be an issue, I've had a cat try and stand on the tubing and pulled it off. The cage/s need to be on somewhere very stable to if the cat does climb the cage it's not going to fall down injuring both the cat and the hamster. The cages need to be extra secure - no risk of a cat sticking a paw in or the hamster escaping.

You can use different methods to get the cat to leave the cages alone - distraction, spraying water, loud noises (shouting/clapping hands). The cat will soon catch on.
StarlightSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote