View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 07:36 PM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: Potentially getting a cat? (NOT BY CHOICE!)

Hello, I know what situation you're in. My dog was bred to be a hunting dog and hates all my small critters so I'll tell you that it can be tough, but if the proper precautions are taken, you can work it out. I would definitely try to move them into another room and if it's possible, keep that door shut or perhaps buy a pet gate to stop your cat from getting in. I would also recommend you keep the hams up high to where your cat can't get to them. Now I don't know whether your little ones are in a cage or aquarium but if they're in an aquarium you could invest in screen clips to hold the lid on the tank, and if they're in a cage you could always put mesh over the bars of the cage in case your cat happened to get in and tried swiping at them, this will hopefully prevent them from being touched. You could also train your cat to stay away from your hams. It's hard to get an animal to ignore its natural instinct, but it's worth a shot at least. If your cat stares at the hams or stalks them, force him away and reward him for sitting nicely and not antagonizing them. Your hams will most likely not notice the cat and if they do, they'll learn to cope. Have plenty of hides for them to feel safe in case they do feel threatened by the cat. Keeping hunting animals and prey animals in the same home can be done and peacefully, but it will take work. I wish you the best!
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote