View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 02:13 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Substrate preferences for dwarf hamsters

Fitch Fitch Fitch! I love it - it's cheap, dust free and hammies really like it. If you get the 10kg bag it's not too enormous and will last for months. It's just recycled food grade paper. A bit like Carefresh but without the dust It's also hypoallergenic (I tried hemp but was a bit allergic to it). I also wouldn't use cat litter - it's not very digestible if chewed. If you want to avoid the cage getting wet and stinky the best way is to have a good depth of substrate - (6" if you can - more is even better) and a litter tray with chinchilla bathing sand in. Hammies tend to use a litter tray if you put it in the area they choose to pee in - then you can just spot clean mainly and the cage stays cleaner and you only need to do a "big" clean every 2 to 3 months maybe. Even then a partial clean is better to leave some familiar scent and avoid stress. So do the substrate one week (or half the substrate and mix the old in with the new), the wheel a different week and the toys/house at a different time.

You can get Fitch direct from the manufacturers - the price includes postage. Or order it on Amazon where it costs a pound or two more and still comes direct from the manufacturer I think.

The 10kg bag is about the size of a small child's beanbag - and can be disguised as a beanbag by putting a throw over it

https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/ani...-delivery.html

This size bale lasts me 4 to 6 months with a 100cm cage and 6" of bedding.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote