View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 05:25 PM  
InkyPen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Is it normal that my Ham doesn't run in his ball?

It sounds like maybe he's just not a big fan of his ball? Balls aren't essential hamster kit - there's a school of thought that says that they're not good for welfare.

If you give him the choice, will he go into the ball or not? I find that Inky will usually (but not always) choose to step inside her ball when given the option, and I take that as a sign she enjoys it - she also enthusiastically runs around our flat when she's in it, only occasionally pausing for breath! They shouldn't be in there for more than 10-15 minutes anyway.

Hamsters are meant to be crepuscular (most active at dawn and dusk) rather than nocturnal as is commonly believed. However, I've typically been waking Inky up at about 7pm for playtime - she'll often go back for a nap later in the evening and then wakes up during the night and is in bed by the time I get up at about 7.30am. Have you tried waking him up at all at an appropriate time of the evening? Inky knows the routine now, and given a gentle stroke inside her house and the smell of a milk drop to tempt her out, she's quite happy to emerge.