View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 01:34 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Help! I think Rosies scared what do i do?

It does sound as though she has got a bit over stressed & is just keeping to herself & only coming out when no one is around.
Hopefully over time she will get a little more confident again, for now maybe try taking the box out & putting something new in with some treats hidden inside, try wrapping them in toilet tissue so she has to work a little to get to them & gets used to being in the new box, she may not make the same association with that box next time you need to get her out so you won't have to chase her around catching her when you need to clean.
Scatter feeding, either hiding the food in different places or just literally scattering it over the substrate can encourage them to come out & stay out for longer so that might help too.
If she continues to be really nervous it might be worth considering a cage change even if it's only temporary, I don't know what cage she's in now but sometimes it can help to have them in a smaller cage, I had to do this with my Russian recently as he became very nervous & I put him in a small bin cage, he quickly became more confident again & after a while I was able to move him back to a larger cage.
Some hams can be intimidated by too much space, & what defines too much space depends entirely on the individual so it's not always easy to get it right at first.
You need to have a nice hideout for her but not make it too easy for her to just hide away completely & avoid any interaction.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote