Thread: Quietest Wheel?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 04:53 PM  
PumpKinSpiceLatte
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Quietest Wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I wouldn't say either Out of the two probably the flying saucer, but if you want a Silent wheel you want a Silent Runner (not Spinner). Silent spinners aren't silent often - in fact they can get quite rattly - but also they sometimes don't spin well at all these days since a manufacturing change. Is it for a dwarf or a Syrian? For a Syrian the 12" Silent Runner is excellent (I have one). It is silent, no spindle, safe sturdy stand and not too deep - it's nothing like as bulky as the 12" Silent spinner. For a dwarf hamster the 9" silent runner is excellent (a number of people have them for dwarf hamsters). Although a dwarf hamster doesn't need a 9" wheel it spins so well and easily and is quite light so it's easy for a dwarf hammy to run in. Also safe and sturdy.

I believe Carolina storm wheels are also silent. They come in 10.5" diameter. Ok for a small Syrian. Both the Carolina wheels and Silent Runners use ball bearings hence being silent.

Silent Runner 12 inch - Silent Runner Wheel 12 inch (REGULAR)

The Carolina Storm Wheel - Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Carolina Storm Hedgehogs

Neither are that cheap at around $23 to $25. But they are well made and silent and likely to last longer than a cheaper wheel. I've had no issues whatsoever with my silent runner after 10 months of use. Whereas my previous wheel broke within 6 months - this one seems like a long term wheel.

The silent runner is taller but more compact depthwise. The Carolina wheel is much deeper - and is height extendable. Takes up a bit more floor space in a cage/tank, but both are very popular.
thanks! I'm choosing the silent runner because there is a sandpaper-like attachment available to wear down the claws (I'm getting a dwarf btw!)