Thread: 10 gallon tank?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 02:24 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: 10 gallon tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I'm not an expert on mice but I believe they do better in groups rather than alone. Two or three maybe.

I think people do use 10 gallon tanks for mice - according to the calculator on this web page a 10 gallon tank could be ok for up to three mice - but I think it's a minimum size.

Mouse Cage Calculator

It's considered the minimum for a hamster by the ASPCA but most people would consider it too small for a hamster. A 40 gallon breeder tank is a popular size for a Syrian Hamster and a 30 or 40 gallon tank popular for a dwarf hamster in the US (assuming you are in the US?).

Personally I wouldn't get the pet to suit the tank you have. ie I wouldn't get mice just because the tank is ok for them - unless you have really looked into keeping mice. I believe some people can find the smell quite strong with mice and more so than for a hamster.

Bicarbonate of soda wouldn't be good - it could cause serious health issues if ingested. Maybe contact Rene...... for more info on mice
Female mice have to be kept in groups,but male mice should not be kept together.That is the general agreement in the US,as male mice almost never get along well and keeping them together is just not safe as they can and will fight to the death(at least,males will).
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote