View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 03:03 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster or Mouse?

I don't know about mice so this is for hamsters:

Quote:
What is the best bedding besides carefresh? What CAN I use besides expensive bedding and carefresh?
Fitch - made from food grade paper. The 10kg bag lasts me 4 to 6 months with a 100cm cage. Suitable for all rodents. Hamsters like it.

https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/ani...-delivery.html

Other options are mentioned by Vectis - Finacard (also cheap bought in bulk - soft cardboard squares), Hemp bedding (Zooplus sell this by the bale). I really like Fitch and it's non allergenic and not dusty.

Quote:
How much do they cost per month?
For a Syrian hamster. Not a lot, but depends on how much you spend on them! In terms of food and bedding it's not expensive - a few pounds a month maybe (if you buy bedding in bulk). But sometimes things need replacing - wheels, water bottles and so on. Buying new toys for the cage can get a bit addictive, and also extras for food and treats can add up. I buy a lot more variety of fresh veg for the hamster than I ever did for us humans.

Quote:
Best brand of food?
Depends on the hamster. Dwarf hamsters do best with a specific dwarf hamster mix. Burgess Dwarf Supahamster is popular and good quality.

For a Syrian I like Harry Hamster because it's the only one our Syrian seems to like, it is sugar free, the pieces are a good size for a Syrian and it contains all the vitamins and minerals they need, plus it contains whole monkey nuts. But I also supplement daily with a bit of fresh veg and a couple of "extras" - pumpkin seeds, brazil nut, cheese, banana, apple, pecan nuts. Usually one of these each day. Our Syrian also has a Rosewood dandelion chew stick on the go, a couple of other chews and gets the occasional piece of chicken, scrambled egg or porridge.

Quote:
Is 'upkeep' a lot?
I think the initial setup is the biggest outlay - the cage, any shelves or other accessories needed, a wheel. Some things can add up, but you can also make things and use cardboard boxes for houses and make toilet roll toys etc. The upkeep doesn't have to be a lot but it's good to have a vet fund in case treatment is needed, ie put a bit away each month. In terms of initial set up it helps if you get a big enough cage to start with - I had to upgrade within 3 weeks and ended up paying for two cages and have since upgraded again!

Do they smell?

I don't find hamsters smelly at all. They will also use a potty litter tray.

Are they nocturnal?

Hamsters are technically crepuscular rather than nocturnal. Which means they are more likely to be awake at dawn or dusk. I have noticed this. But in real terms they seem to be nocturnal as they are awake and energetic at night and asleep most of the day. They have different personalities too and different species of hamsters are out and about at different times generally. For Syrian hamsters, some will be out and about in their cage in the evenings and wanting to come out. Others will get up much later. I'm not an expert on dwarf hamsters but I believe they are up and about in the afternoons sometimes.

Quote:
Quiet?
Depends on the hamster! Ours is silent. Some screech, some chatter. Generally they are quite quiet. But they can have a range of "looks"!

Quote:
Best cage? Cage cost?
Big question. The options are cages, tanks or tank style, diy cages. Cost goes from about £33 to well over £100 depending on what it is. Zooplus has a good range of decent sized well priced cages. Also some more expensive ones. The Alaska and Barney cages are popular (I have the Barney for our Syrian).

Hamster Cages | great selection at zooplus

Quote:
I'd like a pet that would be calm enough to be held once in a while, sit on my shoulder, etc. but also entertain me with it's energy.
The first two bits sound like a Syrian hamster. The third bit possibly a Syrian hamster, but more likely a dwarf hamster as they can be more entertaining to watch but not always as handleable (although big generalisations there). A Syrian hamster could be easier to hand tame. But I'm a bit biased as we only have a Syrian hamster. Ours is a bit reclusive and independent but he did used to go to sleep on my lap a lot (until he got even more independent as he got older!). He will sit for a stroke (if he's in the mood) and he can be very entertaining in his playpen during out of cage time. Because he's one that doesn't usually appear before 11pm we wake him around 7 or 8pm when putting the food and water out to give him out of cage time. This was a tip got from an RSPCA book if the hamster is for a child. It's ok if you keep to a routine of around the same time.

Likes his cuddly blanket (out of cage - best to avoid fabric in cage)

And his donut bed

And his rat sputnik (plastic hammock)

Will sit on the sofa with us sometimes

I think generally people suggest for a first hamster, a Syrian is a good option. But if you really like Winter Whites, it would probably best to try and get one from a breeder where it is used to being handled and may be easier to tame a bit. And as Vectis says, if you get a pair you need to be prepared to have room for two decent sized cages in case they need separating at some point. I think the general advice for a new hamster owner getting a dwarf hamster is to just get one.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote