Thread: Sunflower seeds
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Sunflower seeds

Please don't take things out of your mix or replace them with other things CB.
You need a complete understanding of nutrition & diabetes which you don't yet have before you can even begin to think about that.

Carbs are very important, yes you do need sugar in the blood, this is how the body gets it's energy, the problem with diabetes is that blood sugar levels aren't controlled well so you need to keep the level as stable as possible, this is done through the use of slow release carbs (along with good levels of protein & fibre).
If you cut out carbs your ham will have to burn fat for energy which results in ketosis, high ketones in the urine being a sign of that & also another sign of diabetes, which is really bad for your ham.

By taking sunflower seeds out of your mix & replacing them with oats you will have increased the carb content of the diet which may be no bad thing but not knowing the GA of the mix now you can't know whether this is good or bad.

I agree that the only problem with sunflower seeds is the high fat content, these are good fats but should only be fed in moderation or the fat content of the diet becomes to high, if they're already in the mix then that's fine, it's additional sunflower seeds as treats that should only be fed in moderation.

I wouldn't worry about asking vets about diet, unless you do urine tests daily, even several times a day to monitor sugar levels then you have no idea what your ham may or may not need.

I would just stick to your mix which has a set GA & leave it at that.
I really can't emphasise enough that by making ad hoc changes without a well informed plan you could potentially do more harm than good.
I know you've read it before but why not go back & read the article Vectis has on her site for a bit of a recap on diabetes guidelines.
Vectis Hamstery and Exotics - Diabetes in Hamsters
❤️

Last edited by cypher; 09-12-2016 at 02:09 AM.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote