View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 AM  
JamesLawrence03
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Scared hammy advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Hey! I'm pretty new to this website but i'm having some hammy trouble so any advice would be very much appreciated!
I got my 3rd syrian hamster last week after a very very positive interaction in the store, she was very inquisitive and instantly felt comfortable climbing into my hands and being stroked. We brought her home and gave her the recommended settling in period. We began taming her by gently speaking to the cage and doing the scented tissue trick. Shes just beginning to take treats from my hand but is still very very jumpy, scared and runs in her wheel at the sight of us. I know we need to give her time but i'm just wondering about the best way of cleaning her cage? Shes also a longhaired syrian and ive noticed her butt fluff is looking like it needs a brush too. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!
your hamster may be scared by the technique you use to pick her up, you may have already read books or seen internet forums and videos, but picking up your hamster from the top frightens the hamster into thinking your a bird of prey, so the best way to pick them up is by scooping and cupping the hamster with your hands. your constant presence in the hamsters cage, like talking to it and making its tissue a human smell may be scaring the hamster as they are very solitary creatures and do like to mark their territory, basically what i mean is that they like some alone time, try different things with your hamster, and only pick up your hamster at a certain time in the day, like at midnight at a certain time you would believe your hamster is awake, as they are nocturnal creatures, i hope this helped
JamesLawrence03 is offline   Reply With Quote