View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 12:34 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamsters for children with Autism?

Hi This is not exactly research, it's a Daily Mail article, but it does quote research, and it sounds like you are on the right lines about your little girl living with a pet. Another article also suggests similar things (below). Maybe a family pet rather than one of her own, so she can interact when it's a good time and other people can care for the pet in between.

It basically sounds like any kind of pet in the family helps the child with social skills and assertiveness. I would think something more long lived and less neurotic than a hamster might be better lol! Guinea pigs were mentioned in the second article as being good, and even tortoises, depending on the type of autism. Dogs and cats being the main ones.

Pets & Autistic Children - A Great Combination | Pets4Homes

Are PETS the key to treating autism? | Daily Mail Online

Dogs do seem to be the most popular idea for pets for autistic children, if you google "pets for autistic children" and there are places that train dogs to be an assistant dog for an autistic child. It's a shame that a dog is not an option, although it does sound quite hard to find a trained one (one place is oversubscribed), but I know the right dog can be very tolerant and understanding with a child (our first dog put up with all sorts when I was 5!). The research in the Mail article does say though, that any pet is helpful. Cats can be less tolerant and dig claws in so I'd be a bit concerned about that maybe.

But yes a pet in the home sounds like it would really help the autism. If the adults are prepared to take on most of the responsibility and care it could be a great thing. I think guinea pigs sound good

Our little boy was 6 when we got Charlie. He isn't autistic, but he does have two homes so has to adapt to different lifestyles and not see his pet all the time. It was good for him initially but he soon lost interest, with not being here all the time and with the hamster being asleep all day! And he never really got the hang of holding him gently. He wanted to be gentle but tended to try and grab anxiously if he thought Charlie would run. Playpen time was always good though and he still enjoys watching Charlie do funny things. Handling never really got going though. He does care about Charlie and I think they can project their own feelings onto the pet as a way of understanding feelings (possibly), but on the other hand he also sometimes gets a bit resentful that Charlie is here all the time and he isn't - just a little bit

Sounds like there are plenty of options from fish, guinea pigs, tortoise and so on, in those articles. I think a real pet rather than a toy one But a "family" pet rather than one of her own. Depending on the type and degree of autism, a trained assistance dog sounds brilliant - maybe for the future?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote