View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 03:29 PM  
pinkneon
Pink Glittery Hamsters

Default Re: Hamsters for children with Autism?

Thanks!
I am also Autistic, so understand how it works! We're just wondering whether a pet would help her in anyway ... It's my little girl, though she doesn't live with me, but it was sugested that because she is good with animals a pet might help her. She's fine around Sweep and is only ever supervized. If she had a hamster it wouldn't live in her room, for the exact reasons you said above! I think (hope?!) what the therapist meant about it helping to calm her down, was that it wouldn't be left with her if she was in meltdown mode, but to maybe be a preventative measure. I'm not sure that makes sense, but for example at the moment if she is a little stressed she might listen to music or something to try and prevent a meltdown. If she still feels unable to calm herself down she then tells someone so they can try and help and make sure she is somewhere safe should a meltdown occur. I am hoping that the therapist meant that a pet would be the same as the music, however with a cat or dog she could just walk away from it if she needs a quiet space but with a hamster she can't ... I don't think I explained that too well ... She loves animals, and I know if she was older she'd take good care of a pet, but am unsure how she'd cope with a pet now ... She wanted a dinosaur LOL
pinkneon is offline   Reply With Quote