Thread: Spruce bedding
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 01:34 PM  
Renlikescake
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Spruce bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Aspen is considered safe but again allergic reactions can happen.It's not unheard of,just like any substrate made from wood,and it would definitely not be good to spend money on substrate only to have it cause an allergic reaction and then have to be thrown away!

Something you could do is have part of the cage with paper based cat litter pellets or similar or even hemp bedding or mix the paper and hemp or paper and pellets,which would help with odor control as well as the overall price since you wouldn't be using just one substrate so it lasts even longer.

Deep substrate helps as well,for example the initial cost of 12 inch deep paper substrate is offset by the fact that in a large cage it would last no less than 6 months but could even last a full year in a square meter cage.Compare that to the same substrate with a depth around 4-6 inches(what most 80 cm x 50 cm cages give)that would last maybe 3 months if you're very lucky,so it does cost a lot more since you're going through much more substrate in a smaller cage with minimal depth.
I am aware of wood allergies but my robo should be fine since shes on a wood pulp bedding at the moment but its quite pricy.
Pellets are a good substrate too she was on them for a while but I found she couldn't dig well in the and she started growing very frustrated to the point of throwing around her wheel and flying saucer which was upsetting to see her so stressed.
Your last paragraph is so confusing, do you mean the german cage method? Where you only replace the top layer of substrate?
That could work for my zoozone 2 but the bin cage os only 400 square inches and I would worry about smell.