View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Ireland-The struggle with bedding

I think rat rations deliver to Ireland (they deliver all over the world!) but no idea what they charge for delivery. They sell Finacard in various different sized bags, including large bales, and they also sell paper bedding (not Fitch but looks similar - I think it's tea bag paper bedding). And they sell Oxbow pure comfort paper bedding but that doesn't work out cheap. If you put some in the basket on rat rations and go partway through the payment process it will tell you the delivery cost.

Bedding and Substrate : ratRations.com

Zooplus also sell the Hugro Hemp bedding and Carefresh in economy packs.

Nests & Nesting Materials at zooplus: Hemp Bedding

Carefresh Natural Bedding | Great Deals at zooplus!

They also sell Chipsi Super wood shavings which are part pine and part spruce (spruce is equivalent to hardwood in terms of phenols - ie negligible), but annoyingly it doesn't say what proportion is spruce and what proportion is pine, so assume they are just slightly better quality kiln dried pine shavings. But as there are alternatives then something else might be good.

Chipsi Super Pet Litter | Free P&P on orders £25+ at zooplus!

I think I would go with the Hemp bedding from Zooplus (depending on how cheap the postage is with rat rations).

You are right - Tumblefresh is very dusty (I think it is megazorb rebranded, I tried it once). And the back to nature pellets I have avoided after reading of rabbits dying after having it used (maybe they ingested it, I don't know).

If delivery is going to work out too much then I think maybe a mix of Aspen and Carefresh might be quite good. Some Aspen can be dusty or rough. I tried some Pro Rep Aspen, and it was ok - but I wouldn't want to use it without mixing it with something softer. Mixed with carefresh could be quite good (and would hold tunnels . Carefresh isn't that cheap though. I would go with a bale of Hemp from Zooplus. I tried Hemp but unfortunately I was allergic to it, being an allergic type!

Or you could mix hemp and Carefresh too. The Hemp works out quite economical I think.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 08-10-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote