View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 06:16 AM  
kyrilliondaemon
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Deciding on a cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterCrazy1 View Post
I guess I didn't realize that hamsters needed that much space. I knew they needed a lot, and a lot more than CritterTrails and the like, but not as much as some are saying.
You may find that your hamster doesn't need such a big space. I know plenty of people who keep their syrians in cages considerably smaller than those mentioned in this thread and the hamsters are fine. I've got syrians in cages smaller than those suggested in this thread and they're totally fit, healthy and happy. I really wouldn't worry too much if you can't meet the standards some follow, almost all standards are opinion based and if you find a cage that works for you then thats great and chances are your hamster will be fine in there

I've also found that bar/silicone chewing isn't always a sign the cage is too small, my hamster Nelly chewed when his cage was too large, Pumpkin chews because she hopes it'll create an escape route (she's an expert escape artist) and is better behaved in her current cage than she ever was in a bigger one, Dolly chewed because she could... Bar chewing can be a sign the hamster would prefer a different environment, but it certainly isn't always the case and definitely doesn't always mean the cage is too small.