View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 AM  
velma

Default Re: Hamsters in cars

I just took one of mine on holiday and another to a friend's house in carriers. Aside from the safety issues mentioned above, they also seemed to be calmer for being in an enclosed space. I have a medium ferplast alladino carrier for each which I quite like as the lids are very secure (a bit of a pain to open in fact, which is a good thing) and the coloured plastic bottom half means it's dark in there. For Lewis, who had the longer journey of the two, I put in deep substrate from his cage (you could snaffle a but when you're spot cleaning) a hideout (I used a little one from his cage and his pouch but for the return journey I picked up a rosewood carrot cottage as I remembered serendipity saying they fit nicely) a chunk of cucumber for moisture and scattered some food. A good tip from cypher was a big fabric shopping bag. I used june if those fat bottomed ones that supermarkets sell. It had higher sides than than the carrier to keep him darker and shaded from the sun & I put that in the passenger footwell next to my feet. Coming home it was due to be a warm day so the night before I put a bottle of water in the fridge and I put that in the bag next to Lewis's carrier (I wrapped it in kitchen towel In case of condensation), it just helped kep everything cooler. I'd also reccomend laying down everything in their cages that might fall over or significantly move and removing the water bottle too. Good luck!
velma is offline   Reply With Quote