View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 01:45 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Molly's scratching any ideas

As hamsters and gerbils age, their teeth can be prone to become brittle or they may find hard biscuits in a mix difficult to cope with and end up not eating as much as a consequence. I use a pestle & mortar to break up anything hard in a mix. Although extruded biscuits in mixes are usually never liked anyway. A good variety of things is good and trying different vegetables to see what she prefers. Nibblets of corn, garden peas, broccoli, carrot and anything that is `safe` for a gerbil. I would avoid any hard foods that she may be leaving in her dish. I find pearl barley is like a brick even when I try to bite it! So look for foods that are easier to nibble and enjoy. I don`t know if there is a Supreme Science Selective food for gerbils but there are hamster and mouse versions. These are heart shaped and smell like gravy bones for dogs! They are easily eaten and mashed up and wetted too and mixed with crushed nuts. My wee elderly hamsters gobbles up the treats I mash up for him as they smell nutty and because he`s older now and has lost some condition, he needs these `extras` to help keep his enthusiasm for nutrition.

Experiment really with blending and mashing foods together. Just small amounts. Look at the diet closely and determine if she`s really enjoying it and managing to eat it all without difficulty.

It`s a bit like us having chips and beans every day. We soon become bored with it! I also dry some small pieces of bread (wholemeal).

Vitamins are always found better in fresh foods like raw vegetables. Vitamins A and E are good for the skin and D for bone health as arthritis strikes in old age.

Let us know what the vet thinks, hope all is well. x