View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 05:36 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Cleaning - how often?

I'm not good on notifications either - someone else might help there. There's another way to add photos - by clicking on 'Advanced' at the bottom of this message box (if you were writing the message) then clicking on the paperclip. A new window opens and lets you "browse" your computer for a photo. You select the photo and 'open' on the computer photo page then click "upload" on the "browse" window that opened. Then wait until it says it has finished uploading (it limits you to uploading 5 photos). Then click "close" on the new window and post your message. The photos appear small at the bottom of the message after it has been posted, and they enlarge when someone moves their mouse over them. One warning though, if the file size of the photo is quite big they take forever to upload. You can shrink the file size to say 25% of the original in some programs and then they upload in seconds.

Food - The Crispy Muesli mix is nice and has some very good ingredients, but it is quite low in protein (15%) and they need at least 18% in their first year, so you could do to supplement the protein really. It's one reason I stuck with Harry hamster because I didn't need to worry about the protein levels in it (it has 18% protein). They need a lot of protein when they're young. The 15% is fine for over 1 year old, but for now you could supplement it. You could get some Science Selective and mix a few of those in with it each time (that's an all in one food with all the required nutrients, but not the variety) then you'd have the best of both worlds. As long as Cookie actually eats the Science Selective biscuits! (Although hamsters do seem to like them generally). Plus you could put "extras" out each day. Apart from a tiny piece of veg each day I always put another extra somewhere other than the food bowl (so he has to hunt it down!). Say half a brazil nut, half a shelled walnut, a small piece of cheese, a couple of pumpkin seeds (pumpkin seeds are high in protein).

It might actually be easier to just feed Harry Hamster as the main mix and sprinkle a bit of the Crispy Muesli around the cage as extras. And keep walnuts and pumpkin seeds as treats

If you do change the food mix, it's best done gradually over a week or two so as not to upset their tummies. So mixing some of the new in with the old, then half and half for a week or so and then mostly the new mix and then fully over to it.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote