View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 12:55 PM  
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Charlie has a hernia

So sorry to hear about Charlie, hope everything goes well, he is at a good age to react well from the operation.

My Sherbet who is 2 years old recently had a successful operation to remove a abscess from her cheek pouch. It best to take them to the vets in a carrier or a small cage with substrate, house, bedding from his cage this ensures that it smells familiar to him which helps when he comes around from his anaesthetic ( I kept Sherbet in her carrier until she fully recovered). Also put food and a water bottle (or a chunk of cucumber) in his carrier/temporary cage, when he goes to the vets.
When he get home ensure that he is kept warm and keep a good eye on him to monitor his recovery. If you notice anything you are unsure on contact your vets as they will be able to advise you if it's normal or not (I had to do this myself, which reassured me).
He may start to wander around and might fall asleep out of his house, so you may need to help him back to his house, so he won't get cold. Sherbet kept doing this as she didn't have the energy to walk back to her house.
He might not feel like eating after his operation until the following day.
But he might recover faster as he is younger than Sherbet.

I have my fingers crossed that everything will go ok!

Owning Hamsters since Nov 2007

Last edited by SKB_Hamsters; 06-03-2016 at 01:29 PM.
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote