View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 10:16 AM  
Kissa
Fuzzy Feet!

Default Re: Hamster show/Pedigree hammies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro View Post
Hey, I have a few questions about hamster shows

I'm interested in going to the one in Lymm, July.

Can I enter my hamsters in shows?
How can I enter my hamsters in shows?
Is there a limit?
Can I buy any pedigree hamsters there?
Do breeders go with litters?
Are there any strict rules I should know about?
Who's going!!?

c: thank youuu.

Haven't posted in ages, currently have a happy ham family of 5 Russians all from recuses and breeders.
1. Yes! Come to Lymm!

2. Pet class is entered on the day, you just turn up somewhere around 1-ish (Judging normally starts at 2) with your hamster(s), and find the show secretary to enter. (Main class you have to enter your hamsters at least a week before the show, details for that are on the show schedule which isn't up at the moment.)

Echoing what others have said, pet class is probably your best bet for a first show (there definitely is one at Lymm, there is a pet class at all indoor Northern shows), especially as Russian hybrids are not allowed in the main class and if a judge suspects a hamster to be a hybrid they can disqualify it from the show.

3. I don't think there is a limit to how many you can enter into pet class, there is however a rule that you can only enter pet class if you have three or fewer hamsters in the main class. Just mentioning it in case you want to do both

4. You should be able to buy a hamster, it depends if anyone has pups available to book into sales, but there are generally hamsters for sale at every show

5. Breeders generally only go with those pups they're selling or passing on to other people. Occasionally people will come with a litter to ask another member's advice on it, but that isn't particularly common, think I've only seen it two or three times.

6. As CharlieB has mentioned, every hamster at a Northern show needs to be "booked in", our Livestock Manager is very strict about that rule. If you're entering a hamster into the show, in pet class or main class, then that counts as "booking in" -- it's more for hamsters that aren't booked into sales or the show itself that rule is for. So basically, don't bring a hamster that you're not going to enter into the show

7. I'll be there