View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 08:08 AM  
GleamEyes
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Small Animals Opinions Wanted :3

Thanks a ton, you guys!

I've been doing a lot of research the past few days to decide what to get, and one thing I've noticed is the wildly varying opinions on some dwarves. For example, many sites say to get one of the Russian species because they're "easy to tame" but avoid robos and Chinese because they're very quick, unfriendly/aggressive, and generally don't like being held. But the main reason I got my Chinese was because he was the first hamster that didn't try to bite me as a total stranger XD I was fully expecting him to when I first held him at the store, but he just sat in my hand and I fell in love with him. He never tries to bite, run away, or kamikaze jump off me, he just likes to sit or burrow in my clothes or blanket. If he wants to go back to his habitat, he'll let me know by trying to walk away from me.

I know from personal experience that rats bond easily and deeply with people and actively seek affection and play time, and though my Chinese prefers to be in his habitat (maybe because he's nocturnal), I'm hoping he will eventually enjoy my company for more than 5-15 minutes at a time with continued gentle petting and hand-fed treats. I'd like to get something that will enjoy being handled but not need as much space as rats. Does it really just come down to the individual animal's personality more so than the species? Or does choosing a species really matter for dwarves?
GleamEyes is offline   Reply With Quote