View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 PM  
GleamEyes
Newborn Pup

Default Small Animals Opinions Wanted :3

Hi there!

I haven't posted much, I mainly lurk, but I've learned a lot and would like to get opinions on other small animals because I'm considering getting another family member!

A little about me first ~

My husband and I are in America and have rescued 3 cats (1 special needs), 2 Corgi-mixes, and 1 Chinese dwarf hamster. Before our current 6 pets, I had a black Syrian hammy and 3 amazing rats.

IMHO, I have the best job ever: I work at a no-kill humane society, so I get to interact with cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and gerbils. My new Instagram page is dedicated to all the wonderful animals I get to play with every day: cats_corgis_and_cuteness/

Anyway, I'd like recommendations for which small animal to get next because there will be info and experiences from people here that I haven't come across elsewhere. Maybe there's a wonderful creature out there that I haven't even considered yet!

As much as I'd like to have rats again, they require a lot of space and I know I'd need to get at least 2 again, so I'd rather get something tiny and low maintenance for now, similar to my Chinese dwarf. I'd like to have a pair of guinea pigs and a pair of ferrets one day, but again, they need a lot more space and maintenance than a dwarf.

I wanted a winter white hammy, but after reading this thread, have given up searching for a nearby breeder.

I will admit I've gotten all of my previous and current rodents from Petsmart or Petco (which claim to have winter whites). I'd like to rescue, or get something from a breeder to ensure my buddy is well-socialized and doesn't have future health issues, but breeders aren't exactly plentiful in America, and rescues sometimes don't have the small animals people are looking for.

We haven't had any gerbils at the shelter since I started working there so I have no experience with them other than what I've read online. What're they like compared to hammies and rats? Recommended solo, pair, group?

I think I'm leaning towards getting another hammie or getting my first gerbil, but if I can't find a rescue or a breeder, I'd have to get them from a pet store. What has been your experience with American pet store gerbils and hammies?

GleamEyes is offline   Reply With Quote