View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 04:23 PM  
Ceretrea
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Entering a hammy in the Andover Hamster Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesca_27 View Post
I've never heard of points for environment but I'll give it a go. As it's my first ever show, could someone else confirm the environment points (not that I don't believe you, just never heard it before)? I've certainly got plenty of toys (my dad will never forgive me lol).

Do I have to use woodshavings as substrate or can I use carefresh (travel cage is set up for my hammy's adoption already with carefresh lol)? Where can I buy safe shavings cos I'm concerned about the phenols?

Thanks
As it's pet class there's no hard and fast judging points and judges are free to allocate points how they wish. But it's usually something like out of 10 for tameness, out of 10 for condition (health, coat condition, nails, teeth etc) and 5 points for environment (sensible travel cage/carrier with veg, water etc as Souffle describes above). But it varies widely.

You can show in pet class on any bedding as long as you have no fluffy bedding as above.

You said he might go in pearl class so I assumed he's a Winter White? So 6 weeks old is the limit for the Andover show for young stock. Pet class doesn't have a limit to my knowledge but most people are quite sensible.