View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 09:37 PM  
Nancy's Hamsters
ST's Hamstery

Default Re: All about mammy, Dar :)

Odds are in your favor that no Eyeless white pups occur But I have had a total of 7 Eyeless white pups born here 4 were from a pet store bred Wh Dove who was housed with all Roan males. With eyeless and deaf pups you have to take extra precautions with predatory pets also in the house as 3 of the 1st 4 eyeless white pups I had were killed, and yes consumed by my mouser Cat Samson who found a way to knock down the 110 liter bin cage which housed male pups from two different litters. One of the Anop pups had found friendship with a sighted Sable pup of the same age so since they all were just turned 4 weeks old I had the Sable in with the 3 male eyeless white pups. The Sable pup saw the cat and quickly took flight and got away from the cats jaws, but 2 of the blind and deaf pups most likely just stood there trying to get their balance and were sitting ducks for the rodent killing cat. One Anop pup managed to get behind the lamp where the cat didn't notice him and when I got back from Church and found a bit of one ate Eyeless white pup I ran into the room the pups were housed wondering how the pup got out to find the bin toppled over and the lid off and no pups found. The one pup who didn't get attacked by the cat had a very heavy ceramic bowl used for Guinea pigs fall on his chest and sadly he joined his brothers from complications from the bowl crushing his rib cage. The sighted pup was found via a loaded Wodent Wheel when he went for a run in the wheel causing a loud racket. The one female was re-homed to an experienced Breeder who wanted to attempt to raise a Eyeless White pup. She lived a happy normal life until 2 years and 1 month.

My only other Eyeless white pups came about when I was sold two Polywhite hamsters one was Homo Polywhite Dominant Spot, and the female was Hetero Polywhite Dominant Spot. What the breeder sorta forgot to tell me was both also were White belly gene too. 5 pups were the result with 2 being Eyeless whites. One SH male and one LH female. My assistant in breeding the Rust gene had room so she took both.

The male died first and at almost 1 year old and the female is still going strong at Erin R's Hamstery to this day. She will celebrate her 2 year birthday on 6/28/16 proving some Eyeless Whites do live normal happy healthy lives.

Only thing you must do with handling and taming and Eyeless White is you have to use their still working senses Smell and Feel. I used a perfume which didn't smell like food or flowers and would apply a very small amount on my wrist each time I handled the pups. This same scent was sprayed on the walls of their exercise pen/Playpen area so they knew to stop and sniff to locate walls and edges. To wake them while they were in their bin cages I would first blow on them gently and then slap the bottom of the bin which produced a vibration which was done each and every time my hands entered their Bin.

Quickly they learned the smell meant I was there and for them to stop and sniff whenever they came upon that smell. When their cage vibrated they knew either it was time to be picked up or it was meal time. The gentle blowing on their coat would awake them without startling them.