Thread: vivarium?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 05:31 AM  
Tacey
Newborn Pup

Default Re: vivarium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
It looks good. Someone on here used to use vivariums a lot. Most people don't remove the top, they use a jigsaw (I think) to cut panels in the sides to put air vents in, so there is through ventilation from one side to the other. If you wanted more ventilation than that, then the back is probably easier to take off than the top, but you can get some quite large air vents a bit like this kind of thing I think

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Gri...ords=air+vents

Maybe not exactly the same as that, as that one has fly mesh inside (doesn't say if it's metal or nylon) which could be chewed - but something a bit like that.

One in each end (ie the sides). There should be a bit of through ventilation via the small gap in the glass doors as well, which would work with the side ventilation and the through air flow.

I wouldn't take the glass doors off and turn it on it's side because then you would need a mesh lid - can't really leave it open as hamsters are amazing escape artists and can scale walls and wheels lol or find a way up. I also think it's risky having them open in case something falls in.

But what you could do is, inside the glass doors, have a piece of plexiglass at lower level, say 20cm tall - this means you could have a good depth of substrate without it falling out when you open the doors. Sliding front doors are a big bonus! For acces, both for you and your hamster.

Some ventilation tips too - it's a Kallax/Expedit hack - turns a book case into a vivarium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDx3EHIgNto

You already have the vivarium and glass doors so it's a good start! The only thing I was thinking - if it's at work has it been stored in a dry place? Although they say they're wood, it's usually wood veneer on chipboard or mdf, so if it's been damp it might not be so good an option. But if it's been stored somewhere dry then should be ok. It'll probably need disinfecting as well (sorry if that's stating the obvious!) especially if another creature has been living in it as hammies have a strong sense of smell. 50/50 white vinegar in warm water is a good disinfectant for inside on the melamine bits and glass doors and the smell wears off fairly quickly. On the wood outside, just soapy washing up liquid water is probably best or vinegar or other disinfectant smell could soak into the wood veneer and leave it smelling too strong.

I would check how big the gap between the sliding doors is though. Any bigger than 8mm and a dwarf could try and get through and get stuck, but usually the gap is quite small.

Below is a link to a diy project I saw on youtube that basically made a book-case into a vivarium like yours with sliding doors - to show what I meant about the plexiglass panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPBIK73BeiY

The only thing I was wondering is if it has been stored somewhere dry? And it will need disinfecting (sorry if that's stating the obvious). The inside melamine and glass you could use 50/50 white vinegar and warm water which is a good disinfectant and the smell wears off after a few days of airing. On the outside wood though, any vinegar or other disinfectant could soak into the wood veneer and the smell stay there, so best to just use soapy washing up liquid water on the outside.
Thank you! This is all really helpful. I really like the idea of the side vents. I've no idea where it was stored prior to being here, it just turned up outside the shop one day. As far as I can see there's no sign of damp, but it does need a good clean inside.
Tacey is offline   Reply With Quote