View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 04:46 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Photos No Longer Showing Up

I'm not sure if this helps - but I found the whole file size/shrinking thing confusing. There is one thing for photobucket (where you edit the photo for the physical size so it fits the page), but when you use the paperclip to upload on here it's different.

If you upload on here, an original photo from a camera it will be 5 or 6 mb maybe, which is a "large file" (sorry I don't know all the technicalities), rather than the size of the photo. It will take a long time to upload. I use a program called Batch Photo to "shrink" the file to 25% of the original size. This reduces it from 5mb to say 250kb - and then they upload very quickly (and look just the same I reckon). But the actually size and proportions of the image are the same.

Whereas with photobucket there is no need to "shrink" - although again they will upload quicker if you do. On photobucket, you just upload the files, then click edit, resize and choose the width (600 or 700) in the left box and the right box changes itself accordingly, then save it. Then your photo will fit within the forum page.

For shrinking photos to upload on here from your computer, using the paperclip icon though, shrinking the file size is best. There will be other programs apart from Batch Photo and you can do it online as well, but that's a bit slow. The Batch photo program is free, but limits what you can do without paying for the full version (which is a one off lifetime fee - I ended up buying it) - but the free version will let you shrink photos which is all you need it for.

Having said all that, I've never had a problem with photos showing up whether I shrink the file or not so maybe there is something else as well.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote