View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 05:54 AM  
WinnieTheHam
Autumn Hamstery

Default Re: Are these what I think they are?

Make sure you remove all harmful toys, and the wheel from her cage, give her lots of bedding and substrate so she can build a large nest. I'd clean her completely out now, because it will get very smelly! you won't be able to clean it until pups eyes open. Pups start to eat solid food at around 5 days old, you will need to stock up on the hamster food, as well as protein foods and veggies. Give mild veggies like carrot, peas and broccoli. I've been told gassy vegetables can cause bloat so stay away from those until pups are over 3 weeks old. Start giving cucumber around 1 week old, cut it up quite small and sprinkle near the nest so mum can bring it to the pups. They can have boiled chicken, mealworms, tofu, boiled/scrambled egg and porridge (made with kitten milk or water). They can also have a little cat food and dog food, but I'd give this to them when they start to venture out. When it's near the 15th and 16th day, place a towel over her nest area to give her some privacy and you will have to leave her alone up until the pups eyes have opened which is around 16 days old for the pups.

Mum will also need these foods to help with lactation, good fatty foods like nuts and sunflower seeds will help, as well as veggies and proteins.