View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:14 PM  
Nancy's Hamsters
ST's Hamstery

Default Re: Why did you start breeding?

Well my beginning was rather pet store based as my parents had a good friend who had a small pet shop, and their friend asked if I would like to be their breeder of Hamsters. They bought everything for me the cage unit held 10 like 15 gallon long tanks and they supplied every need including the hamsters to be bred. My job was to mate the females to the 2 males I was given. Then Hand tame the pups and bring them to the store. It was only by God's grace that I never had any eyeless whites or double Satins back then because they gave me two males one was solid Sable the other was a Satin Sable Banded Roan. Roan sold quickly so I was instructed to breed Roan to Roan so I would get lots of roan pups(that was the store owners idea) Of the 8 females only two were solid sable the rest were Sable roans. and since the satin coat was well liked by buyers most of the 8 Females were Satin. 40 years later I now have lots of genetic knowledge and am still learning more as I work with a fairly new mutation pattern called Polywhite, and working with the Rust color gene.

I breed because I want a pet owner to learn that not all Hamsters are sickly and die within 4 weeks time. I really enjoy seeing and hearing about a new hamster owner and how much fun owning a hamster is.

Last edited by Nancy's Hamsters; 04-10-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Nancy's Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote