Thread: Cage extension?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Cage extension?

Excellent It's a kind of water based pet-safe varnish that waterproofs the wood in case they pee inside the house. You can get it on Amazon or they might have some in a local hardware shop. I hate any kind of diy things but it's easy to use, doesn't take long at all. It's like a thin milky liquid - doesn't have a smell really. I painted it on with a standard half inch paint brush I got from the diy store.

Plastikote B26W 59 ml Enamel Paint Bottle - Clear: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

If you get it somewhere else, make sure it says it's the water based one.

I put a couple of coats on - it only takes about 2 hours for a coat to dry, so you could do it a day before the hamster cage is ready to set up for your hammy to move into.

You'll need lots of substrate so he has a soft landing if he decides to climb to the roof and jump off

I'm not sure what substrate you're using, but this Fitch paper bedding works out quite cheap as you buy it in bulk. The smallest 10kg size lasts me about 6 months.

The more you put in the less you waste really, as the bottom layer tends to stay dry. Have added Erin's Hamsters cage cleaning tips video below as it really helped me - our hamster was a nervous wreck over cage cleans and got very stressed and he's much better about it now with this method. The main thing that helps is having a potty litter tray and putting it in the corner which they choose as a pee corner.

So assuming you have enough substrate already, and are using the Barney cage wheel at first, the shopping list is just plastikote (or take a risk and leave it unpainted - you could always make a new house out of a cardboard box). And a potty litter tray, and possibly some Chinchilla bathing sand to put in the potty.

Hamster Potty corner Litter Tray for Mice Hamster Gerbil Cage House. Size: 16 × 7 × 12/12 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

The sand works out cheaper if you buy two at the same time and save on postage.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Supreme_Sci...g+sand&sct_r=1

For toys you can use a ceramic cup on it's side, a cardboard inner tube from kitchen roll (best to slit it down the side so it expands) and so on. Mostly they just like a nice cosy house, a shelf and lots of substrate. And food of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jVnEjrXbww
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote