View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 01:31 PM  
hrl20100
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Possibly moving... with 16 animals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfairy View Post
I would move them all first. I did that when I moved here with 8 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs, 2 hamsters and 2 dogs!

As for his dog, can you put the hamsters and rats somewhere high enough that the dog cannot get to them?

My dogs dont worry about the rabbits any more, they live in a shed/aviary set up in the garden. Our collie used to be ever so interested in them but not any more. Make sure that they have lots of lovely hiding places to help them feel safe.

Best of luck with the move. ps The more organised you are and the more help you have the better!
We have to redecorate the room first, so once that is done we shall move the animals in! I don't know much about the space we have to work with, so am not sure where all the hamsters are going to go. The rats cage can't be moved on top of anything due to its huge size and weight. Its on a stand and is quite tall, so if they did get scared they can easily run away to the top level where they will feel safest. Ideally I would want the hamsters on top of something, like a chest of drawers, something quite tall so the dog doesn't knock the cages off! (He is an english bulldog, about a year old. Very clumsy and very excitable!)

Not sure if the dog is staying in the house in his crate at night, or if he is also moving into the summer house with us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piebald View Post
First of all congratulations on the move! How exciting you are starting a new chapter in your life Your animals will have to cope.
I would work on familiarizing smells. You can start that now. Bring some smells from the garden house into your room. When you move, I would move some familiar things first. You could do simple things like leave some tissues in the garden house, and then bring them back to your hammies for bedding. Leave some rattie toys over there and then bring them back. You get the idea.
For moving day recruit lots of help and friends with trucks and see how much you can do at once. It will be stressful so just accept that!
Best of luck!
Thankyou! I am excited, but also kind of nervous! It will be a complete new start for me. He lives an hour away and I know no one over there, nor the area very well at all! I will have to look for a new job and be completely independent... Here I rely on my dad quite a lot, its going to be so strange without him! I'm also going to have to find a new place to ride at, which is going to be so weird because i have ridden at my local stables since I was two! I know everyone there so well, and the horses! I think it will be tough at first, but once I am settled I know I will be just fine

I love those ideas about familiarizing them with the smells before they even move in! Really good idea, thankyou!