Thread: Crufts
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 02:19 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Crufts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasypea View Post
I don't really like the idea of it but we get free tickets through uni and so I wanted to go and see what it was all about.

There are some absolutely amazing dog breeds out there (I've fallen in love with a beautiful dog called a Hovowart) but some that are just so manipulated that they are just walking deformities - I won't mention any particular breeds as I don't want to cause an argument but there has been some uproar about certain ones being very poor examples of what a healthy dog should be! As vet students we also get 2 lectures included in our day - its basically the Kennel Club trying to change the mind of vets about pedigree dogs but the data and information they gave in those lectures was so skewed it was ridiculous! It did nothing to win me over.

So yeah - I don't like this overbreeding of unhealthy dogs AT ALL but it was great to see and learn about all the breeds that I will see in the future and to be honest most of the breeders are really on the ball with inherited diseases and are trying to improve the health of the breed. There are just those few....
I find that a lot of actual breed club members vs the members of Kennel Clubs tend to be more responsible and know more about genetic diseases and such and breed away from them while most Kennel Clubs don't care about more than appearance.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote