View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 06:28 AM  
Cinnamon Bear
Banned

Default Re: Glass tank/Fish tank

I have 3 of my dwarves in 20 gal long tanks. I prefer the plexiglass critter cages as they are lighter and you can still have a clear view and are much lighter in weight (the mesh top slides out). The glass tanks are heavier but not that bad (If the hamsters eat the silicone it will not harm them). I wouldn't put a Syrian hamster in a 20 gal long tank as this seems find for dwarves only in my opinion. The 40 gal breeders tank would be better for Syrians.

I don't like the levels for the dwarves as I feel they can fall and break a leg possibly or get injured some other way? This is most likely not true whatsoever, but just a fear of mine. The tanks for my dwarves are big enough to have a stand up wheel and a flying saucer if I wanted. Right now I just have the robo with 2 wheels, but the tank fits 8 in Wodent Wheels and 9 in Silent Runner wheels.

If you go for a 40 gal tank it will of course fit the larger wheels. I love my tanks, although I would like to have them each of my dwarves in 40 gal tanks if I could move it myself, the cost of bedding would be more and it takes up more space. For now the 20 gal tanks work for me. Plus I have a 110 qt bin cage for my 4th dwarf hamster.

I like the idea of having bars for better ventilation but most of my hamsters have been bar chewers and that drives me crazy. If I could find a hamster who doesn't chew and climb the bars then I'd like the bar cages better. Not the critter trail cages but some of the cages I've seem pictures of in the UK. They seem real nice filled with lots of stimulating toys and tunnels.

Last edited by Cinnamon Bear; 03-06-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Cinnamon Bear is offline   Reply With Quote