View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 04:18 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Should i take lid off

It's ok to wake them at a certain time each evening, as a routine, when putting food out (the RSPCA suggest doing this when the hamster is a child's pet). So say 7pm or 8pm - make a bit of noise putting the food out and changing the water, then you can tempt him out in a tube with a bit of food at the far end if he doesn't volunteer to come out!

We do that. Charlie used to walk into the tube and I'd lift him out in it, with my hands over either end, onto the sofa (although he is tame so he's ok on the sofa but I still block the front off with a blanket). If yours isn't tame enough to handle without leaping in the air or trying to run away, then you could handle him in the bathtub as part of taming. To do that I used to either put Charlie's ball in the cage and let him hop into that - or use the tube with the treat and put the far end of the tube in the ball so he just walks into the ball. Then pop the lid on the ball and carefully carry him to the dry bathtub in the ball. You can have a tube or a couple of toys in the bathtub so he can go undercover

Ours is now in the habit of coming out around 8pm each evening now, but I still need to wake him with the noisy feeding regime! Sometimes he will just go to sleep when he's out lol! Under something. Sometimes he's quite active and wants to run away so then I put him back. Other times he'll happily sit and nibble at some food treat or sit on you for a stroke - depends what mood he is in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyEme2xcq4
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote