Thread: baby syian
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 06:03 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: baby syian

Plastikote water based paint - it's pet safe. I get it from Amazon and I'll add the link (although our local diy store has it as well). It needs to be the water based one. It comes in a few colours if you fancy a coloured shelf but I just get the clear one. Some people say the colours are good for checking you haven't missed a bit, but I didn't have a problem with seeing where I'd painted You just paint it on with any paint brush - doesn't smell really and is dry in a couple of hours. It's a small pot but it goes a long way. A couple of coats will add a waterproofing layer to the wood shelf. It's a good idea to protect the things that can't be replaced easily, like the shelf, and painting inside the house could be a good idea as well so it doesn't get pee stained if your hammy pees in his nest occasionally. Our hamster only pees in his potty but I painted the shelf anyway, just in case.

Plastikote B26W 59 ml Enamel Paint Bottle - Clear: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Getty a potty litter tray is a good idea as hammies tend to use them and it really helps with cleaning. I just clean out his potty every four or five days and the rest of the cage stays dry You can use Chinchilla bathing sand in the potty, which is safer than the Hamster potty litter. I have this litter tray. You need to wait and see where they choose their pee corner to be though, and put the litter tray there - they won't move their chosen pee spot if you put the litter tray somewhere else lol.

Hamster Potty corner Litter Tray for Mice Hamster Gerbil Cage House. Size: 16 × 7 × 12/12 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

You can see some of the other plastikote colours if you scroll down this page - if you don't want to get it as an Amazon add-on item, just click on other sellers.

Plastikote B57W 59 ml Enamel Paint Bottle - Jade: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

My last bottle came from AP Motor Store (the clear one) and was £4.50 including postage.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote