Thread: baby syian
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 04:32 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: baby syian

As CMB says! It's great to start them out in a cage big enough for their whole life. I've just upgraded our Syrian to the 100cm Barney from an 80cm cage and wish I had got the 100cm one to start with, as they get so settled and familiar with a cage. I did find it took a bit of thinking to set it up to be safe from falls as it is is quite tall - not massively tall, but taller than my old cage. It comes with the one shelf which helps and if you have the substrate as deep as possibly this will also help cushion any falls if your hammy decided to climb right to the top and drop! I filled the base with substrate and then heaped it up in the middle! The good thing about the Barney is it has narrow bar spacing, so the substrate doesn't fall out through the bars as I found! It might seem like a lot of substrate but works out economical overall as you only really need to spot clean mostly - the bottom half of the substrate tends to stay dry, so you don't need to do cage cleans so often and can also re-use the bottom half of the substrate. With deep substrate and some hanging toys like a sputnik eg, over the top of any hard floor toys you should be fine and your hammy will love the space in there. The cage comes with a good big house And not too much plastikoting to do. I'd recommend plastikoting the shelf at least, because you can't get replacement shelves - it only took me 10 minutes to do each coat though I painted it with a couple of coats.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote