Thread: Need help
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 02:01 PM  
RubyDG
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Need help

Well a guinea pig cage should be fine ! What are the dimensions? There are people who like them because they tend to be a good size or even bigger than most hamster cages. However it will need to be meshed because of the bar spacing. Bar spacing on a Syrian cage should not be bigger than 1cm. I cannot stress enough that hamsters are super escape artists - they can squeeze themselves through very small spaces So I would measure the bar spacing on the guinea pig cage and if it's bigger than 1cm (make sure to check the corners!) then buy some wire mesh (you should be able to find some in a hardware store or online) and some cable ties. As an example here's a link to a thread on a guinea pig forum of someone who meshed one of their cages for their hamster : Meshed Ferplast 140.. Here's a youtube video of someone who did the same thing (I just found it on a search ) Bob's converted cage.

A meshed guinea pig/rabbit cage may not look pretty as such but it does the job and Elmo certainly won't mind