View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 PM  
souffle

Default Re: Taming a biting hamster

Hi Fiz
I think you will get there with her but it is going to take time. 3 weeks is not that long really to tame. You are doing the right thing by using the hand gel. I would now start letting her have a good ball run then take the ball and get in the dry bath. Open the ball and let her crawl out on to your body then allow her to walk on you. Try not to swoop your hands down on her as they see this as a threat (like an eagle) Firstly smooth her back and put a slight pressure on her back as she walks by you. Do this a lot but don't pick her up. Put her back in the ball and into her cage.
The next night do the same thing but tonight you are going to lift and lay her down. Not hold her or handle, just lift and lay. Imagine she is a computer mouse and the cord is her tail. You should pick her up so her face is under the heel of your hand and her tail between your fingers almost. She cannot bite you in this position. Lift and lay straight down only. Lift and lay and keep that up. Once she is confident in this you can lift and lay her on the other hand and let her walk off. don't try and hold her at first. Gradually lift, lay on hand and curl your fingers round her so she feels you hand round her body. You are nearly there now and you can start the hand to hand running through the curled fingers soon.
If she bites blow and say NO firmly but don't put her back as she may have learnt she will get back in if she bites.
Our taming tips are on the WIKI but these are additional helpful hints. If you can handle her 3/4 times a day. They more you can do it the quicker the process will be.
She probably is still a little nervous as taming is new to her but you can do this. Be confident as they do pick up if you are nervous too.
Good luck
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote