Thread: Pets shop cages
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 01:01 AM  
velma

Default Re: Pets at home cages

A couple of good points made already. And also, you can get can more smaller cages on a shelf. Larger cages take up more room.
Just a side note though, purely in the interests of balance. While a lot of these cages are quite unsuitable as permanent homes for a ham, the are times when a small cage is beneficial. For example, my robo Hector is an odd bod and doesnt function well in large spaces so his cage is technically on the smaller side (a mini duna). Also, these can be a handy travel cage or if you have a sick hamster a small uncluttered cage can help with recovery so there are reasons why outright banning of small cages could be a problem. Also, for p@h as well as private pet shops, what we are learning about hamsters is changing all the time so that would be a lot of stock trashed every time the size went up, which commercially isn't viable. Like Ruby said, while a lot of these cages particularly the modular, aren't suitable, the onus is on the consumer. In the past, pre Internet, I've bought it because they sold it so I'm just as guilty as anyone of buying unsuitable homes but you can't put all the blame at p@h door.
velma is offline   Reply With Quote