Thread: Pets shop cages
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 05:53 PM  
RubyDG
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Pets at home cages

Pets shops like P@H make their money from selling food and accessories. Items like cages are big sale items so they want those sold. Now I personally don't have a problem with that, I never begrudge a business making a reasonable profit, but the reason P@H sell those particular types of cages is because that's what sells - and of course with modular cages there all those extra tubes and attachments for people to buy which add up to a very expensive cage in the end. The larger 'less interesting' cages just don't sell as well. I personally think that if they had to adhere to guidelines for what could be sold for suitable cages they would sell just as well because people won't have the option of unsuitable cages. Those rubbish modular cages are no more expensive than big standard cages like the Barney cage.

I do feel there needs to be some responsibility on the part of the consumer. I think too many people are unwilling to accept that if they want a pet certain welfare needs must be met and if they can't then they shouldn't get one in the first place. Pets are not toys. Buying the hamster is the cheapest part to owning a hamster. I think things are only going to change once there is proper legislation and enforcement in place in addition to proper education for pet owners. I think pet shops, particularly big ones like Pets at Home, have the potential to be a fantastic resource for animal welfare education as well as a place where you can confidently buy suitable products. That's what I would like to see one day - people being able to go to a place like Pets at Home and getting really good advice as well as products regardless of the pet in question.