View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Softwood Bedding

Softwoods contain high levels of the phenols - most hardwoods (including aspen) are fine and don't have these phenols but most hardwoods don't make for good shavings (with the exception of Aspen). Spruce is supposed to be ok (a particular variety of fir tree) and has the same very low levels of phenols as Aspen hardwood. But almost all other softwoods have high levels of phenols that it is believed can cause various serious illnesses with hamsters, particularly respiratory illness and possibly some cancers. Cedar has the highest levels and is not recommended at all for hamster bedding. But Pine that has been kiln dried is supposed to be safer. In the Uk all pine shavings are kiln dried by law.

My own view on this is - although kiln dried pine is much safer than non kiln dried pine, there does not seem to be any specific regulation as to how long it is kiln dried or at what temperature or how much phenol remains. I just think it's easier to use something else. But no bedding/substrate is perfect. Some are dusty, wood pulp beddings have various chemical processes and so on. Organic hemp bedding is a good option. I go with the paper bedding.

When you smell that fresh pine smell - that is the phenols. I believe there is something else as well as phenols but not sure what.

There are so many good alternatives now (Fitch, Carefresh, Hemp, Aspen) that I prefer just not to use softwood shavings any more. Costwise Fitch (recycled paper) works out very cheap, but needs to be sent off for. Hemp in bulk isn't that expensive either, and neither is Aspen. Carefresh can work out a bit expensive maybe.

Some of the German wood shavings are made from Spruce, which is the 'ok' softwood, (or a mix of Spruce and kiln dried pine) but generally it doesn't seem to be available.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote